Video: On July 9, Vermont Legal Aid tax attorney Zach Lees and Health Care Advocate Emily Bens talked about dealing with tax issues, deadlines and how to get Premium Tax Credits. Watch the video on Facebook or YouTube.
Do you have a tax problem with the IRS? You may qualify for free legal help. Contact our Vermont Low-Income Taxpayer Clinic (LITC) by filling out our form or calling 1-800-889-2047 to find out if you qualify.
Vermont Legal Aid’s Low-Income Taxpayer Clinic:
- provides free or low-cost help to low-income taxpayers who have a tax dispute with the IRS about an audit, tax debt, levy or lien
- offers education and outreach events and materials to help taxpayers understand their tax responsibilities and to get benefits (like the Earned Income Tax Credit) that they may qualify for
- speaks up for low-income taxpayers and suggests changes to rules that cause clients economic hardship
While the LITC gets funding from the IRS to provide these services, the LITC is not part of the IRS.
You may also be eligible to receive help with a tax dispute from either the Vermont or Federal Taxpayer Advocates:
Did you get a letter from the IRS?
If you got a letter from the IRS, we can help you understand what it says. Contact us at Vermont Legal Aid’s Low-Income Taxpayer Clinic. Have your letter in hand. Call 1-800-889-2047 or fill out our form.
Do you owe back taxes?
- See the IRS Says You Owe Money page on this website to find out what you should do.
- Go to the IRS website and choose video #5 to help you understand how the IRS collects back taxes. (You need Flash on your computer or smartphone to see this video.)
Are you missing out on money from the Earned Income Tax Credit (EIC)?
If you worked during the tax year and earned wages, you might be eligible for a tax credit from the IRS. Call 2-1-1 or find a volunteer tax preparer to see if you qualify for the Earned Income Tax Credit (EIC). If you find out that you qualify for the EIC, you will need to apply for it when you file your federal taxes.
Learn more on our Earned Income Credit page.
Vermont Legal Aid Staff Attorney Zachary Lees led a panel presentation about the Earned Income Tax Credit in January 2019. You can watch the video on YouTube.
Choose from the menu on this page for more tax topics and information.