On this page we list benefits, recovery programs and common legal problems that can come up after a flooding disaster in Vermont with links to information and help.
If you live in Vermont, contact us if you need help or have a question. If your problem is due to the July 2023 flooding disaster, call 1-800-889-2047 and press option 4 for our flood-related hotline. Also read the helpful information below.
The information below is in regards to the summer 2023 flooding event, which was declared a federal disaster.
Deadlines to note
- Applying for FEMA or a SBA loan (for individuals) – The deadline was October 31, but you may still be able to apply if you have a disability or have a good reason for missing the deadline. Contact us!
- 60 days — Appeal any FEMA decision within 60 days of the date on the decision letter. These days, most people appeal decisions from FEMA to get a better award. It’s almost expected. If you have questions, contact us!
Flood-related pages on VTLawHelp.org
Legal aid and legal services
Free walk-in Flood Legal Assistance Clinics
- Hardwick on March 14 at the Hardwick Memorial Building, 2 - 6 p.m.
- Barre on April 11 at the Aldrich Public Library from 2 - 5:45 p.m.
- More events are being scheduled!
Legal Services Vermont and the Entrepreneurial Legal Lab at Vermont Law and Graduate School, are working together to help Vermonters affected by the July 2023 floods. At these clinics, volunteers will:
- provide information
- answer questions
- help file FEMA or Disaster Unemployment Assistance (DUA) or Small Business Administration (SBA) appeals and late applications (if applicable with good reason or a reasonable accommodation for a disability), and
- help with other paperwork (such as communications with a landlord or insurance claims).
Bring any paperwork that might help you complete a FEMA claim or appeal, including pictures, receipts, insurance information, household and income information, and additional notes about damages, losses, and impacts from flooding. This event will provide legal information, advice and limited assistance. For more information, contact email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Free weekly Flood Legal Consultation Clinics in Berlin
Legal Services Vermont and Vermont Legal Aid lawyers are available by appointment on Wednesdays in Berlin. The location is the Hope Coalition, a Long-Term Recovery Group. If you have a legal issue related to the July 2023 flooding, schedule an appointment online.
More legal info and help
Need help? Contact us!
We have new staff members on board who are dedicated to helping Vermonters impacted by flooding this summer.
We can help with:
- applying to FEMA
- appealing FEMA decisions
- dealing with insurance problems
- applying for SBA loans for individuals
- accessing Disaster Unemployment Assistance (DUA)
- understanding your rights as a tenant, and
- exploring other sources of funding.
To get help, call 1-800-889-2047 and press option 4 for our flood-related hotline.
These materials are in English and other languages.
American Sign Language
Videos in ASL include: