You may qualify for free tax preparation. Free help is available only until April 15. See if you qualify for free help.
Low or Moderate Income
Are you low- or moderate-income? You may qualify for free help to file your federal tax return and apply for a property tax adjustment or renter rebate.
- Get Help from a Tax Preparer
You can find free tax help here:
- IRS Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) - If your family income is $54,000 or less, use the IRS VITA site locator tool to find a free tax preparation site near you.
- AARP Tax-Aide - it's not just for seniors! If your family income is $62,500 or less, find out where you may be able to get free tax help on AARP's Tax-Aide website.
- Call 2-1-1 for an appointment at a free tax preparation site near you!
- File It Yourself at the IRS Free File Website
- If your income is $60,000 or less, you can save time and money by using one of the Free File tax prep products offered by 14 commercial software companies on the Internal Revenue Service website, IRS.gov/freefile. The Free File site lets you do your federal tax returns either using brand-name software or online fillable forms. Free File is for federal returns, but most companies also offer state tax return preparation. Some offer state return preparation for free.
- You can also find free file software at My Free Taxes, if your income is $60,000 or less.
- If your income is over $60,000/year and you are comfortable preparing your own tax return, you can use Free File Fillable Forms.
Check here to see if the AARP can help you file: AARP's Tax-Aide Website.
For Taxpayer Assistance from the Vermont Department of Taxes, call 1-866-828-2865.
- The Department of Taxes can help you to complete a Vermont income tax return, property tax adjustment, or renter rebate claim.
- You can also get help in person at the Department of Taxes office, located at 133 State Street in Montpelier.
- The Vermont Taxpayer Advocate works to resolve taxpayers’ issues with the Vermont Department of Taxes.
Vermont Free File Website
- Find out if you qualify for free filing at the Vermont Free File website.
IRS Video: Welcome to Free File
This IRS video tells you how Free File works:
Where's My Refund?
More Tax Tips