Scammers are always dreaming up new ways to get your money.
Your best protection is to:
- learn about scams and fraud
- hang up when you think it might be a scam call, or stop the online conversation
- if you were scammed, stop payment ASAP, and
- report the scam.
The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) says Vermonters lost $10 million to fraud and scams in 2021! The FTC says recent top scams seen in Vermont include:
- imposter scams
- foreign money offers and fake check scams
- prizes, sweepstakes and lottery scams, and
- identity theft.
If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is! If something seems fishy, it probably is!