Do you have a tax problem with the IRS? You may qualify for free legal help. Call the Vermont Low Income Taxpayer Clinic (LITC) at 1-800-889-2047 to find out if you qualify.
Vermont Legal Aid’s Low Income Taxpayer Clinic:
- provides free or low-cost assistance to low income taxpayers who have a tax dispute with the IRS about an audit, tax debt, levy or lien
- offers education and outreach events and materials to help taxpayers understand their tax responsibilities and to get benefits (like the Earned Income Tax Credit) that they may qualify for
- speaks up for low income taxpayers and suggests changes to rules that cause clients economic hardship
While the LITC gets funding from the IRS to provide these services, the LITC is not part of the IRS.
You may also be eligible to receive help with a tax dispute from either the Vermont or Federal Taxpayer Advocates:
Owe Back Taxes?
- Go to the "IRS Says You Owe Money" page on this website to find out what you should do
- Go to the IRS website and choose video #5 to help you understand how the IRS collects back taxes.
Vermont Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) Information
With EITC Awareness Day on January 27, LITC director Christine Speidel appeared on Channel 17 to provide viewers in tax season with information about Earned Income Tax Credit. She appeared with Grant C. Peterson (Senior Stakeholder Relationship Tax Consultant, IRS), Robert H. Fett (VT Local Taxpayer Advocate) and Michael McClintock (VITA Tax Site Coordinator).