Vermont Law Help's Tax Pages
The content below is sorted by category. Can't find what you are looking for? Try using the search box, or browse our Library. Want more information about a topic? Click [view all].
Free Help Filing Your Taxes [view all]
Are you low- or moderate-income? You may qualify for free help filing your tax return. Call 2-1-1 for an appointment at a free tax preparation site near you! If you are a senior, check to see if the AARP can help you file, here: Link: AARP's Tax-Aide Website.
Taxpayer Assistance From the Vermont Department of Taxes- Call 1-866-828-2865 and select option 2 for help completing a Vermont income tax return, property tax adjustment, or renter rebate claim.
You can also get help in person from the Montpelier Department of Taxes office at 133 State Street in Montpelier.
Find your local tax prepration site by using the VITA site locator tool.
Go to the IRS.gov site for more information about VITA, TCE, and free self help tax preparation programs.
Tax News- from the IRS
IRS Has $913 Million for people WHo have Not Filed a 2009 Tax Return- File before April 15, 2013
Watch Tax Talk- a video by Vermont Legal Aid and Legal Services Law Line. Hosted by CCTV, Channel 17 and the Center for Media and Democracy.
Free Help with Tax Disputes [view all]
Do you have a tax problem with the IRS? You may qualify for free help. Call Vermont Legal Aid at (800) 889-2047 to find out. You may also be eligible to receive help with a dispute from either the State or Federal Taxpayer Advocates:
Renter Rebates [view all]
- Link: Renter Rebate Claim Information (VT Department of Taxes),
- Link: Vermont Renters' Rebate Tax Form PR-144 (external document).
- Link: Landlord Certificate LC-142 (VT Department of Taxes)
- Find out how to get your Landlord's Certificate here: Link: How to Get a Renters' Rebate Landlord's Certificate (external document).
Earned Income Credit (EIC) [view all]
Do you have a child? You may qualify for the Earned Income Credit and Child Tax Credit. Very low-income people without children may also qualify for the Earned Income Credit. Find out if you qualify here: Link: Vermont Earned Income Tax Credit (VT Dept. of Taxes Website). Read about how the EIC impacts food stamps here: Earned Income Credit and 3SquaresVT (Food Stamps).
Read this flyer about the Earned Income Credit.
Tax Refunds [view all]
- Where Is My Refund? Find Out on IRS' Website,
- Get Your Money Back and Don't Get Scammed by so called "rapid refund" services!
Property Taxes [view all]
Other Vermont Department of Taxes & IRS Web Site Links
- Link: Vermont Individual Income Tax Information from the Vermont Dept. of Taxes
- Link: Vermont Low-Income Child & Dependent Care Credit (VT Dept. of Taxes Site)
- Link: Federal Tax Information from the IRS
- Link: E-File Information (IRS Website)
- Link: Mortgage Interest Deduction- links to the IRS website
- Link: Tax Scam Information from the IRS (IRS Website)
Search This Site
May 16, 2013
May 13, 2013
April 25, 2013
- 1 of 34