VIDEO: Health Insurance and Access to Health Care. On April 30, Annalee Beaulieu of the Office of the Health Care Advocate at Vermont Legal Aid answered questions about health insurance, Medicaid, Medicare and access to health care. Watch the video on Facebook or YouTube.
Vermont Health Connect has a Special Enrollment Period through May 14, 2021
The State of Vermont announced a COVID-19 Special Enrollment Period (SEP) from February 16 to May 14, 2021. It is for Vermonters who do not have health insurance right now. You’ll be able to enroll in a qualified health plan (QHP) and get financial help with premiums and cost-sharing if you are eligible.
For this Special Enrollment Period, you need to apply by phone. Call the Customer Support Center at 1-855-899-9600 Monday - Friday from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (except on holidays). You can get a Vermont Health Connect plan from Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Vermont, MVP Health Care or Northeast Delta Dental. Learn more about the health plans.
Vermonters can continue to apply for Medicaid at any time of the year. If you’ve lost some income, you may now be eligible for Medicaid or financial help for a qualified health plan.
Special Enrollment Period if you lose your insurance
If you lose your job-based insurance at any time of the year, you may have a Special Enrollment Period of 60 days to get onto a Vermont Health Connect plan. You don't have to wait until November. Learn more.
How to sign up:
- Go to the Vermont Health Connect website.
- Review the Qualified Health Plan brochures to see plan information like deductibles and premiums.
- Enter some family and income information into the Plan Comparison Tool to see what kind of financial help you can get to pay the premiums. It will tell you your estimated total monthly cost for a plan.
- Enter the income you expect to earn for the year.
- When you apply, you will also be automatically screened to see if you are eligible for Medicaid.
- Apply online or over the phone.
If you need help:
- Call Vermont Health Connect toll-free at 1-855-899-9600.
- Contact us at the Office of the Health Care Advocate (HCA). Call 1-800-917-7787 to speak with a health care advocate, or fill out our Help Request Form. The HCA is a free service for Vermonters.
Are you now eligible for Medicaid?
You can apply for Medicaid at any time. If you are making less money or no money, it makes sense to see if you are now eligible for Medicaid. Learn more on our Medicaid pages.