Summary of health insurance options
- You can apply for Emergency Medicaid anytime. This program is for everyone.
- You can apply for the Immigrant Health Insurance Plan (IHIP). This program is for children under age 19 and pregnant people.
- You cannot buy a health plan through Vermont Health Connect. You can buy a private health plan directly through an insurance company, but it is expensive.
- Learn more below.
If you cannot get health insurance, you can apply for financial help (called “patient financial assistance”) at a nearby hospital or health clinic. Contact the Office of the Health Care Advocate for help: 1-800-917-7787.
Even though you may not qualify for regular Medicaid, you may be able to have emergency health care paid in part or in full with Emergency Medicaid.
What is emergency health care?
- Labor and delivery if you are pregnant
- Sudden, dangerous medical problems like heart attacks or being hurt in an accident
You can get Emergency Medicaid if:
- You live in Vermont.
- You need emergency medical care at the emergency department.
- You have an immigration status that does not let you get Dr. Dynasaur or Medicaid, and
- You meet the income and all the other eligibility requirements.
How to apply for Emergency Medicaid:
After you apply, Vermont Health Connect will send you a letter that says what you need to do. Medicaid will pay some or all of your bills if the emergency care you got meets the rules.
Getting Emergency Medicaid will not impact your immigration status.
Immigrant Health Insurance Plan (IHIP)
The Immigrant Health Insurance Plan (IHIP) is free health insurance for kids up to age 19 and pregnant people. It covers most of the health care services that Dr. Dynasaur covers, including labor and delivery, emergency, medical, and dental care.
You can get IHIP if:
- You live in Vermont.
- You are pregnant or under age 19.
- You have an immigration status that does not allow you to sign up for Dr. Dynasaur, and
- You meet the income and all other eligibility requirements.
How to apply for IHIP:
- If you are pregnant: Apply for IHIP using Vermont Health Connect's 205 ALL MED application. This application will let you apply for both IHIP and Emergency Medicaid. You can download a copy of the 205 ALL MED application. Or call customer service and ask them to mail you a copy: 1-855-899-9600.
- If you are under 19: Apply for IHIP using the 205 IHIP application. You must apply using a paper application. You can download the application in English or Spanish. Or call Customer Service and ask them to mail you a copy: 1-855-899-9600.
No matter what application you use, you need to send proof of your identity, income and Vermont residency with your application to Vermont Health Connect. Find out what to send – you can read this in English or Spanish.
Getting IHIP will not impact your immigration status.