Minimum Essential Coverage
With Vermont Health Connect, you can buy insurance plans from Blue Cross Blue Shield of Vermont and MVP. You can also purchase the plans directly from the insurance carrier. These plans are called Qualified Health Plans. Every plan must include 10 basic health benefits or Minimum Essential Coverage (MEC):
- Children’s health services
- Emergency care
- Lab services
- Maternity and newborn care
- Mental health and substance abuse services
- Outpatient services
- Prescription drugs
- Preventive and wellness services and chronic disease management
- Rehabilitative and habilitative services and devices
When you apply for insurance through Vermont Health Connect, you or your children will be screened for Medicaid and Dr. Dynasaur first. You will be enrolled in Medicaid and Dr. Dynasaur if you qualify.
Vision and dental coverage are included in Vermont Health Connect plans through December 31 of the year the insured turns 21. Adults over this age limit can buy dental insurance from Delta Dental separately through Vermont Health Connect.